|Pink Lemonade Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream|
I have wanted to make these Pink Lemonade Cupcakes for ages and finally got the chance on a sunny afternoon a few weeks ago.
I dressed them up with some handmade mini-bunting. Cute huh?
Pink Lemonade Cupcakes:
Makes about 12
1 cup plain or all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup caster or superfine sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
2 egg whites
1/3 cup lemon cordial concentrate (I used Bickfords)
1/4 cup buttermilk
pink food colouring
- Preheat over to 180C (350F)
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt
- In a large bowl whisk together sugar, oil, egg whites & corial concentrate until smooth
- Alternately beat in flour mixture & buttermilk
- Add enough food colouring to turn batter pink
- Scoop batter into cupcake cases in muffin tray
- Bake for 20–25 minutes until tops of cakes spring back when lightly touched
- Let cakes sit for 5 minutes and then turn out on to wire racks to cool.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream.
3 cups icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
125g (3oz.) softened butter
2–3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon lemon essence
zest from half a lemon
- Beat butter with an electric mixer until pale
- Add 1 cup sugar, cream of tartar, lemon essence, lemon zest and 1 tablespoon milk. Beat well.
- Add another cup sugar and 1 more tablespoon milk. Beat well.
- Add final cup of sugar. Beat well. Add a little more milk if needed.
- Divide buttercream into two bowls and colour using food colouring – a little goes a long way.
- Fill the left side of you piping bag with one colour of buttercream.
- Fill the right side of your piping bage with the other colour of buttercream. Your bag should look like it is half-and-half of the two colours when standing vertically.
- Squeeze buttercream from the bag until the two colours can be seen, then pipe as normal.